On 17 March 2016 we were joined by over 65 business owners and export professionals to exchange insights and experiences on how to successfully embark on accessing global markets. The line up of presenters was lead by:
- Angie Winton at Hanrick Curran who outlined how you can prepare your current business operations to be export ready;
- Diana Gueorguieva from Australian Business Consulting & Solutions highlighted the 7 key steps to export successfully and a summary of the support available with helpful links;
- HopgoodGamin’s Lea Fua summarised the FTA agreements and the essential legal frameworks to be considered when exporting; and finally we heard from
- Natalie Reid-Frost, who explained how Efic can assist in obtaining that much needed finance to fund export driven expansion when the commercial banks find it too risky.
A recording of the presentation content has been prepared for those who were unable to attend the session and a selection of specialist export resources have been developed to assist business owners in their export preparations including an Export Budget Template prepared by Hanrick Curran.
At the event, we were fortunate to have Cheryl Stanilewics, State Director, of Austrade and Nussara Smith, CEO, of Australia China Business Council Qld join us on the expert panel in addition to Alison Carrington from Department of Foreign Affairs contributing from the audience. After a robust panel Q&A discussion, we closed the session with a parting piece of advice from each panellist and the top items were:
- Pick one market, focus on it and understand the culture of the market you are entering.
- Follow-up and remain in touch with the contacts you make in your early trips, speak with people who are already exporting and learn from their experiences.
- Understand your cashflow and be prepared for growth!
- Get your price right, in comparison to your competitors and relative to your costs (understand your foreign exchange risks and factor this into your margin or hedge it).
- Take professional advice early.
- Just do it, it’s exciting and fun!
Hanrick Curran has an international reach through our active membership in Alliott Group, a world wide alliance of independent professional firms to support clients with sustainable and successful international expansion. We can call upon professional service colleagues when our clients are exporting to one of over 200 destinations we have networks in. If you require assistance to get started or get serious about accessing global markets, speak with your usual Hanrick Curran adviser or call 07 3218 3900 and ask for Jamie Towers, Matthew Beasley or Peter Maletz.
Please note that this publication is intended to provide a general summary and should not be relied upon as a substitute for personal advice.