The 2013 Aon Hewitt Best Employers study for New Zealand and Australia highlights that Best Employers achieve 4 times higher profit growth than other organisations. A key input into Best Employers is high levels of employee engagement. Achieving high levels of employee engagement requires strong leadership and the foresight to provide an environment that empowers employees to contribute to organisational success, ideally via a variety of means.
The recent trends indicate that teleworking or working from home is attractive to an increasing percentage of the modern workforce and is here to stay! As employers we need to ensure that we are protected and our employees are looked after and understand the inferences of working from home.
If offering workplace flexibility is attractive to your current or future workforce (having a policy around this can assist you to attract and retain talented staff) it is important to review your current policies and procedures on working from home.
Review your Work Health and Safety policy to ensure compliance with current legislation
- Generate a working from home policy that addresses work, health and safety matters
- Enforce employees to conduct workplace safety assessments of their home work environments
- Amend employment contract templates to address working from home
- Formalise and communicate arrangements with staff – so everyone is aware of their obligations
- Decide how the employee's performance is going to be monitored and evaluated
- Develop a plan to ensure cultural connectivity
- Have an effective IT, computer and social media policy in place
So if you would like to embark on offering workplace flexibility with confidence to your staff to improve employee engagement, please contact our Availio Partner, Kelly Langdon on 07 3218 3900.
This article was published in the Summer 2013 Horizon. For a pdf version of the newsletter please click here.